Satisfactory Academic Progress | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Your academic success is important. To be eligible for federal aid, federal regulations require students to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) while working towards an approved degree or certificate program at NWACC. Students are required to submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges. All hours attempted at or transferred into NWACC will be counted as part of a student’s SAP. NWACC does not transfer in GPA from previously attended colleges. SAP will be reviewed prior to a student’s initial enrollment period and at the end of each academic year and after the summer semester.

Please take time to read our SAP policy. It can vary from one academic year to another. 

View 2022-2023 SAP Policy

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeals

When a student loses federal student aid eligibility because they failed to make satisfactory academic progress, he or she may appeal that result on the basis of: his injury or illness, the death of a relative, or other special circumstances. The appeal must explain why they failed to make satisfactory progress and what has changed in their situation that will allow them to make satisfactory progress at the next evaluation.

If you have lost federal aid eligibility and have a special circumstance that you can document, you may request to appeal the exclusion. There are several steps to the process:

  1. You must be a current student

    • Admitted to the college - you must have an application for admission with NWACC and be accepted for admission

    • Enrolled in classes - you must be enrolled in classes to be considered a student

  2. Check to be sure financial aid file is complete through My NWACC Connection

    • We must have a FAFSA for you and your financial aid file must be complete

  3. Sign up for an online Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal workshops
    • Appeal workshops are in the form of an online class and are only open during the months of May and June for the upcoming fall semester. The fall 2022 appeal workshop closed at 4 pm on June 30, 2022. The appeal process for fall 2023 will open around the first of May 2023.

    • If you missed the appeal process, there are a couple of options for you to still attend classes. You may qualify for a Private Education Loan. For more information, visit If you need to take developmental classes, you may take advantage of our Adult Education Center. They offer a number of classes free of charge. For more information visit their website.