Grants | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start


A grant is a type of financial aid that you don't need to pay back.  They are gifts from federal, state and college sources and awarded to you based on your demonstrated need.  

To apply for any grant, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Learn more about applying for aid

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be paid back.  It is the Federal government's largest student aid program and is the starting point for most students seeking financial assistance.  You can transfer your Pell Grant to another school but cannot receive Pell Grant from two schools for the same enrollment period.  Students who have received a bachelor's degree are not eligible. 

Pell eligible students are awarded 100% of their grant for two (2) semesters; for instance fall and spring. If they attend full time for both terms, they will have used 100% of their grant. If they do not use 100% of their Pell for fall and spring, there will be a certain percentage left over for summer if otherwise eligible.

The Lifetime eligibility for the Pell grant is 12 full-time semesters, which is equivalent to six (6) years or 600%.  Once you have reached 600%, you will never be eligible for Pell no matter what school you attend. Be sure to take classes that apply to your program of study!

For more information on the types of aid offered and how to apply, visit

State Aid Programs

Visit the Arkansas Department of Higher Education's website for information on application, qualifications, renewal, etc. for Arkansas state scholarships (lottery scholarship) and grants.  Deadline to apply is June 1st. 

Career Pathways

For information about the Arkansas Career Pathways program, visit their office in Burns Hall 1218.