Main Content Start
Pursue an Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) in Creative Writing and experience a foundation of classes and skills in literature and creative writing and be on a pathway to authorship, publishing or professional writing.
Throughout NWACC's creative writing program, you will gain knowledge of literary works written in multiple genres from diverse cultural and historical perspectives and be able to critically analyze works by professional writers, fellow students and personal works. You will also gain practical experience in literary arts, publication, public performance and professional writing and have a foundational understanding of form and theory in multiple genres, invention and revision practices.
Courses include American, British and world literature, fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, as well as literary magazine writing. There will also be a capstone course where you can pursue further work in the genre of your choice and produce a final portfolio, including a thesis and an oral performance.
Many of NWACC's creative writing courses can be transferred to four-year institutions and can fulfill general education requirements. Connect with your academic advisor for more details.
With a degree in creative writing, you may find employment opportunities as an author, content writer, editor, publisher, grant writer and many others.
- Gain experience in publishing as a member of the Hive Avenue Literary Journal
- Experiment with new writing, or work on your current creative works for publication in Insatiable Ink, the creative writing club at NWACC.
- Gain experience as a reporter for the NWACC EagleView
- Read and discuss contemporary works with other book lovers as a member of the NWACC book club
- Play an active role in or attend the NWACC Spring Arts & Culture Festival
- Collaborate with students in other Arts (music, visual arts and media, theater, etc.)
- Attend and participate in the NWACC Reading Series
- Attend Open Mouth Reading Series events in Fayetteville
- Explore theater, music and other art events all over Northwest Arkansas
View the courses required to earn an AFA Option Creative Writing.