Main Content Start
Pursue an Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) in Creative Writing to build a strong foundation of creative writing and critical reading skills that put you on a professional writing path.
As a creative writing student at NWACC, highly qualified professors will guide you in improving your writing, expanding your creativity, and harnessing and wielding the power of language.
Effective writing and storytelling are significant personal and professional skills. Whether your goal is to write a memoir, build a creative writing portfolio, or achieve a credential toward landing a writing job, an AFA in Creative Writing may be ideal for you.
Many of NWACC's creative writing courses can be transferred to four-year institutions and can fulfill general education requirements. Connect with your academic advisor for more details.
With a degree in creative writing, you may find employment opportunities as an author, content writer, editor, publisher, grant writer and many others.
- Build a foundational understanding of form and theory in multiple genres.
- Investigate and hone your writing process with invention and revision strategies.
- Draw inspiration and know-how from classic and contemporary works of literature.
- Develop empathy and a broader understanding of human experience through diverse cultural and historical perspectives.
- Sharpen your critical awareness of language and how to use it.
- Learn how to shape your writing for specific audiences and purposes.
- Fashion a portfolio of creative work in the genre of your choice.
- Gain experience in publishing as a member of the Hive Avenue Literary Journal
- Experiment with new writing, or work on your current creative works by joining the Creative Writing Club at NWACC.
View the courses required to earn an AFA Option Creative Writing.