Visas and Passports | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start

Visas and Passports

Your Passport

A passport is the most important legal document while traveling overseas. Obtaining one may take 6 to 8 weeks or longer, so do not wait until the last minute.

I Already Have a Passport

Check to make sure that your passport is still valid beyond your return to the U.S. and you have a sufficient number of pages for visa stamps. Some countries require your passport to be valid six months beyond the date of your return.  You should renew your passport before departure if it will expire while you are abroad. 

Email a copy of your passport to once you apply for a trip.

I Don't Have a Passport

If you do not have a passport, you can apply for one at any post office.  For more information on passports please see the State Department's website.

How Do I Apply for a Passport?

Please visit the U.S. Department of State website to find the most up-to-date information on applying for a passport.

Once You Obtain a Passport

Make two copies of the photograph page and any pages with current visas.  Leave one copy with your family in the U.S. and take the other one with you.  Keep your copy in a separate place from your original passport. The photocopy will make it easier to replace a lost or stolen passport.

It is a good idea for your parent, spouse, or designated emergency contact to have their own passport. In the event of an emergency, they can travel abroad to be with you.

Email a copy of your passport to once you apply for a trip.

Visa - Your Ticket into the Country

To visit certain countries you will need a visa. A visa is a stamp or sticker placed in your passport by a foreign government that permits you to visit that country for a specific purpose and for a limited time. Some countries will also require you to get a visa to transit through the country on your way to your final destination. The U.S. Department of State allows you to learn about your destination, including visa and passport requirements, by searching the country.

Registering with the U.S. Embassy

The Study Abroad Office strongly advises students and community members to register with the U.S. Embassy in the country you are visiting before you leave.  In the event of an emergency or an overseas disaster; the U.S. embassy will be able to contact you and assist you with your needs.

To register, please visit the Department of State's website.