Main Content Start
Financing Your Trip
Studying abroad can be accessible to students and the community. Learn more about the ways that NWACC makes studying abroad more affordable.
NWACC degree seeking students are eligible for financial aid for Study Abroad as long as the study abroad class is required for the student's degree plan. Classes that are taken with NWACC's study abroad program and are part of the student's degree plan, will be counted as part of the student's total enrollment hours for the semester.
- Complete FAFSA online application and wait 5 business days for FAFSA to arrive at NWACC.
- Verify program course offering is required on degree plan and has not already been fulfilled by another course.
- Apply for desired study abroad trip and pay the application fee.
- Once awarded, accept your financial aid on My NWACC
Feel free to use the payment portal to make payments for your study abroad program. The non-refundable deposit is $250 and is built into the advertised cost. Once the deposit is made, you may choose the amount you wish to pay by selecting your program and setting the dollar amount.
All payments must be made manually, and we do not process automatic payments. We have some set deadlines that will assist you with making payments.
- 25% of advertised cost due by November 30
- 50% of advertised cost due by December 31
- 75% of advertised cost due by January 31
- Payment in full of advertised cost due by February 28
All scholarships listed are eligible for our NWACC study abroad programs. If you are awarded, you will need to send the award letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to use the Tutoring and/or Writing Center on campus to help with your essay as needed. Always check eligibility on each scholarship prior to applying.
Study Abroad Scholarship
Application Type: Online
Availability: Main Cycle
- Must be enrolled in a study abroad course for credit
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at time of departure
- Must remain in good judicial and academic standing
- Must have completed the application and paid application fee
Apply now for scholarships.
NWACC will accept scholarships from any outside provider. You may apply for these scholarships if you are participating on an external provider program. If you are awarded, then you will need to send the award letter to email@example.com. Please feel free to use the Tutoring and/or Writing Center on campus to help with your essay as needed. Always check eligibility on each scholarship prior to applying.
NWACC will accept heritage scholarships. If you are awarded, then you will need to send the award letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to use the Tutoring and/or Writing Center on campus to help with your essay as needed. Always check eligibility on each scholarship prior to applying.
NWACC Veterans Resources can help all eligible veterans, dependents, reservists/guardsman, and/or disabled veterans successfully pursue their study abroad educational desires. If you have G.I. Bill benefits and plan to utilize those during your study abroad plan, please meet with Veterans Resources.
Selecting a program that helps achieve your long-term goals may make it easier to solicit funds from external sources. Keep in mind that local, regional, and national groups, as well as individuals, are all possible contributors. It's also important to keep careful record of those who helped support you in order to express your appreciation.
Finally, past study abroad students found that dedicating a set time each week to look for funding was very helpful.
- Kickstarter.com: Sell poetry, art, and more online to raise funds.
- GoFundMe.com: An online platform used to inform family and friends of your study abroad plans and encourage them to donate.
- Contact businesses, churches and organizations in your hometown, especially those whose mission may relate to your major, region of study, or another facet of your life. There may be scholarships or they may be willing to donate toward your time abroad. You can offer to send letters while abroad or give a presentation upon return. Potential organizations include: Elks, Moose, Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary, etc.