New students how to apply | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start

New Students

First time receiving G.I. Bill® benefits? Follow the steps below to apply and begin the process. 

Step 1: Apply for G.I. Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has an excellent step by step road map that you should review to help you determine your benefit eligibility, compare programs, calculate your benefit, collect your paperwork, and apply for VA benefits online.

The VA can take at least 45 days to approve your benefits and often will take longer. Follow detailed steps for your situation below.

1. Apply online at VONAPP for VA Education Benefits using Form 22-1990

Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill®) Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®, Chapter 1606 (Montgomery G.I. Bill® - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program), Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program)

2. Provide your discharge or eligibility papers:

  • Chapter 33,30 & 1607: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214 form) (Member 4 copy) for all periods of active duty service
  • Chapter 1606: Reservists must provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)(DD 2384), issued from your military unit.

Mail or Fax papers to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK or scan and upload them to your online application.

Apply online at VONAPP for VA Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance using form 22-5490.

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents

Step 2: Turn in Your Documents

You will need to turn in the following military documents to the Veteran Resources Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center, room 114F:

  • Your Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you. (If you have not received it, bring a copy of your application for VA educational benefits)
  • Your discharge (DD214) or eligibility (NOBE) papers
  • Signed NWACC Veteran's Statement of Responsibility

Step 3: Submit an Educational Plan to the G.I. Bill Certifying Office

During your new student veterans counseling session at NWACC, you will develop an education plan. Bring this plan to the Veterans Resources Center.

Additionally, you must declare a major by your second semester. After declaring your major, make an appointment with your advisor by calling (479) 619-2273 or emailing to make a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP). Bring this updated plan to the Veterans Resources Center.

Step 4: Request Your Education Benefits Each Year

Certification is not automatic. To have your certification submitted to the VA, you must register for classes, complete the request for benefits form and contact the Veterans Resources Center before the start of each semester.