Main Content Start
First time receiving GI Bill® benefits? Follow the steps below to apply and begin the process.
Step 1: Apply for G.I. Benefits
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has an excellent step by step road map that you should review to help you determine your benefit eligibility, compare programs, calculate your benefit, collect your paperwork, and apply for VA benefits online or at the Veteran Resources Center.
1) The Veteran Resources Center can hep you navigate the process of applying for benefits.
2) If you are comfortable navigating the application process and know which benefit you want to apply for, you can apply online a va.gov
Note: The VA can take at least 45 days to approve your benefits and often will take longer.
1. Apply online at va.gov for VA Education Benefits using Form 22-1990
Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®) Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program),
2. Provide your discharge or eligibility papers:
- Chapter 33,30: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214 form) (Member 4 copy) for all periods of active duty service
- Chapter 1606: Reservists must provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)(DD 2384), issued from your military unit.
Step 2: Turn in Your Documents
You will need to turn in the following military documents to the Veteran Resources Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center, room 114F:
- Your Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you. (If you have not received it, bring a copy of your application for VA educational benefits)
- Your discharge (DD214) or eligibility (NOBE) papers
- Signed NWACC Veteran's Statement of Responsibility
Step 3: Submit an Educational Plan to the G.I. Bill Certifying Office
During your new student veterans counseling session at the Veteran Resources Center, you will develop an education plan.
Step 4: Request Your Education Benefits Each Year
Certification is not automatic. To have your certification submitted to the VA, you must register for classes, complete the request for benefits form and contact the Veterans Resources Center before the start of each semester.