Main Content Start
Dental Assistant Career Information
A career as a Dental Assistant includes working with a team of professionals, providing direct patient care, exercising good hand/eye coordination and seeking satisfaction in helping others.
Specific tasks performed include the following:
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during, and after treatment
- Taking and developing dental x-rays
- Sterilizing instruments
- Taking impressions
- Performing office management tasks
- Communicating with other health care professionals, dental suppliers, business contacts, and insurers
Upon completing the Dental Assistant program and licensure, a student can further their education and pursue the following careers:
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Lab Technician
- Sales Representative
- Dental Equipment Technician
According to the latest U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Dental Assistant employment is expected to continue to increase. The aging population and the link between oral and overall health will continue to increase the demand for preventive dental services.
With approximately 200 dentists in Northwest Arkansas, dental assistant graduates are in high demand.
The average salary for Dental Assistants in Northwest Arkansas is $37,630.