Visiting International Student | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start

Visiting International Student

International students interested in taking courses at NWACC for one or more semesters will need to perform the following steps:

To protect the privacy of your information and to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations, we can no longer accept documents by email.

The International Programs Center will not issue an acceptance letter for visiting international students, but once the required items are provided, then visiting students may sign up for orientation with Enrollment Support Services.  

Any visiting international students who do not upload the required documents will receive a “VH Hold” that will block enrollment until this step is completed.

If you are an F-1 Visa holder, be sure to inform your current I-20 institution that you are taking classes at NWACC. As an F-1 international student, you must take at least 6 credit hours at your I-20 institution and a total of 12 per semester with 9 of those hours being live on-campus.

  • If your I-20 institution wishes to contact us for verification of enrollment, please have them email or call 479-986-4069.

B Visa holders are not allowed to enroll in academic coursework and must change visa types. Please email if you wish to pursue ‘change of status’ in order to begin your U.S. college education.



NWACC and the United States government expects all F-1 and J-1 international students to enroll in a total of 12 credits per semester. Of those 12 credits, nine must be live on-campus coursework. 

You must complete your courses even if you are not doing well in a course. To protect your immigration status, we recommend that you enroll in 15 credits each semester so you have the flexibility to drop a course if necessary.

The United States government allows us to award an I-20 or DS-2019 for the duration of study that is expected for an associate degree. You will have an average of two years to obtain a college degree at NWACC. If needed, we can grant an extension prior to the end of your ‘duration of status’.