Information for Parents of High School Students Taking College Classes | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start

Information for Parents of High School Students

Parents, NorthWest Arkansas Community College (NWACC) is here to help you feel confident about enrolling your high school-aged child in college courses. Below are common topics that parents inquire about.

Feel free to contact our Office of High School Relations for more information about our Early College Education programs: 479-725-4688 or

If your high school child is participating in the On-Campus Concurrent Enrollment program, you can send any questions to:

The course syllabus contains the professor’s contact information, office hours, as well as attendance policies, expectations of the course, grading, deadlines, textbooks, etc. At the beginning of the semester, students receive a hard copy of the syllabus for each of their concurrent courses, and those taking online courses can access a printable copy of the syllabus in their student account. We strongly encourage students to print a hard copy of the syllabus for easy access and reference throughout the semester.

High school students taking college courses in their high school and online pay a reduced tuition that is based on the school district where they live. Students are responsible for the purchase of books and other required course materials. Books can be purchased new or used, online, or at any local bookstore. 

Students taking online courses pay an additional distance-learning fee of $22.00 per course. Lab fees and digital course materials fees will be charged as appropriate for online and on-campus classes to cover the cost of the course supplies and materials. This includes lab fees for online biology, online environmental sciences, culinary classes and private music classes. 

You will not receive a bill since NWACC invoices your school for the tuition and applicable fees. NWACC collects from the high school all tuition and fees related to the courses. Please note that payment is due and payable to your high school at the time of high school registration. If you have any questions about tuition, please contact your high school counselor.


Students taking Career and Technical courses through the Secondary Career Center are charged no tuition cost. These courses are paid by participating school districts, and funded by the State of Arkansas Department of Career Education. Students are responsible for transportation. Program expenses for Certified Nursing Assistance (CNA) and Patient Care Assistant (PCA+) include required immunizations, background checks, and scrubs.


Students participating in On-Campus Concurrent Enrollment (not through Early College Experience) pay full college tuition based on their residency and NWACC’s tuition schedule, which can be found on our Enrollment page. 

NorthWest Arkansas Community College has articulation agreements with many regional colleges and universities. You can expect the credits earned through Early College Experience and on-campus concurrent enrollment to transfer to most colleges and universities in Arkansas as well as out-of-state institutions.  Please contact the college or university you plan to attend to verify its transfer policy.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides students certain privacy rights, including the right to have some control over the disclosure of their education records. For students under 18 years of age, educational information may be released to the parent signing the Early College Experience (ECE) registration form. For students 18 years or older, educational information may be released to persons designated by the student in the ECE registration form. Academic, attendance, and financial information will be released to the high school while the student is enrolled in Early College Experience.

Academic accommodations and related supports are available to NWACC students with disabilities through the Disability Resource Center (DRC). Students who have received special education services (IEP or 504 plan) or who have a disability or medical concern that may impact access to or progress in the Early College Experience program, please contact the DRC for more information. For information, or to schedule an appointment, please email (preferred) or call the main office at 479-986-4076. The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is located in Room 114 on the first floor of the Student Center on the main Bentonville campus.

Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires students to provide a valid SSN or ITIN to persons who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. NWACC must obtain an identifying number to file certain information returns with the IRS and to furnish Form 1098-T to the student. The information about tuition will help to determine whether the taxpayer may take the tuition and fees deduction, or claim an education credit to reduce federal income tax. Failure to furnish a correct SSN or ITIN may subject you to an IRS penalty. SSNs and ITINs are maintained confidentially and used only for official business by NWACC.