Main Content Start
NWACC Music Club to Host Maestro Steven Byess | November 5
NWACC Music Club to host maestro Steven Byess of the Arkansas Philharmonic! Byess will speak about what is takes to become a conductor of professional orchestras.
When: November 5 at 3:00 pm
Where: Burns Hall, room 2105
- Byess serves as music director of the North Mississippi Symphony Orchestra, the music director of the Portland Columbia Symphony Orchestra, music director of the Arkansas Philharmonic Orchestra, associate music director of the Ohio Light Opera, and principal guest conductor of the Sinfonia Chamber Orchestra of Krakow, Poland.
- He formerly held the post of cover conductor for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
- With the Ohio Light Opera, he's conducted over 500 performances of 65 operas, operettas, and musical theater works, and is featured on 17 CD recordings by Newport Classics, Albany Records and Operetta Archives.
- Byess is a passionate advocate for the arts and has created and organized collaborations with choruses, chamber music ensembles, and festivals of the arts.
- He wrote, co-directed and is featured in a PBS presentation entitled Count On It!, which shows the correlation of music to mathematics.
- He is a conductor of the Carnegie Hall Weill Music Institute Link Up orchestral education concerts, performing in multiple US communities for over 20,000 children.