Main Content Start
Honorary Degree Recipient
Dick Barclay, Servant Leadership
Dick Barclay has served as a state legislator, a community leader, and a member of the Arkansas governor's cabinet. Dick was on Governor Mike Huckabee's first executive team when the governor took office July 15, 1996.
Dick retired in 2002 as the state's Chief Fiscal Officer and Director of the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).
As DFA Director, Dick served as a member of the Governor's Cabinet and on several State Boards and Commissions. He served in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 1977 through 1992.
In 2018, the Rogers-Lowell Area Chamber of Commerce established the Barclay-Matthews Award for distinguished legislative leadership to honor Dick Barclay's service in the legislature.
As a member of the Arkansas legislature, Dick helped secure state funding for the off-campus program in Benton County, which served as the springboard for NWACC. Later, he carried the legislative bill that authorized the creation of NWACC. He served as a member of the Board of Directors of the NorthWest Arkansas Community College Foundation.
Following his retirement from state government, Dick, a CPA, returned to private practice in Rogers with Beall Barclay & Company, PLC. Previously, Dick was in private practice from 1961 to 1999.
Dick has been affiliated with and held leadership roles in the Rogers-Lowell Area Chamber of Commerce, First Christian Church of Rogers (Disciples of Christ), the Republican Party of Benton County, Rogers Little Theater, and many other organizations. Before being elected to the Arkansas House of Representatives, Dick served on the Rogers City Council from 1970 through 1977.
After attending public schools in Kansas, Dick graduated from Kansas State University with a dual degree in Business Administration and Social Services. He also attended graduate school at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.
Dick and his wife Jan have three grown children, Jill Gulick, Rick Barclay, and John Barclay, and six grandchildren.
- Ramsey Ball - Associate Degree in Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Joan Clifford – Associate Degree in Arts & Letters
- Dick Trammel – Associate Degree in Servant Leadership
- Bob H. Crafton – Associate Degree in Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Evalena Mayo – Associate Degree in Educational Service
- Preston Bynum – Associate of Educational Service
- Melba Shewmaker – Associate of Humanitarian Service
- Howard Slinkard – Associate of Educational Service
- David Thrasher – Associate of Servant Leadership
- The Honorable David Bisbee – Associate of Educational Service
- Dr. Donald E. White – Associate of Humanitarian Service (posthumous)
- Steve Galen – Associate of Educational Service
- Virginia Mocivnik – Associate of Humanitarian Service
- Etsyl Sparkman – Associate of Educational Service
- Jack Shewmaker – Associate of Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Pauline Whitaker – Associate of Educational Service
- Pat & Willard Walker – Associate of Humanitarian Service