Human Resources

Arkansas Public Employees Retirement System (APERS)

124 W Capitol Ave, Suite 400
Little Rock, AR   72201
Tel:   1-800-682-7377


Contribution Rates
Key Points
Questions/Contact Information


The Arkansas Public Employees Retirement System is a defined benefit plan, qualified under Section 401(a) of the Internal Revenue Code, with defined contribution options.  The plan year is July 1 through June 30.



All full-time employees are eligible to elect this retirement plan upon hire. 


NOTE:  Election of a retirement plan is a one-time, irrevocable decision for the length of your employment at NWACC.



The employee contribution rate is currently five percent (5%) of gross earnings. Employees hired after July 1, 2005 who have never worked for an APERS participating employer or are returning to work more than six (6) months after last being reported to APERS by an APERS-participating employer MUST be enrolled as contributory. The contribution rate for participating employers is currently 14.24% of the employee 's gross earnings.




back to top


  • APERS require a member to have 5 years of creditable service to be vested. 
  • Employee is eligible to receive an unreduced retirement benefit based on age and years of service.  Contact APERS for eligibility requirements.
  • With at least 25 years of actual service,an active member is eligible for a reduced benefit payment at any age.
  • A refund of personal contributions may be requested upon termination of all covered employment.  The refund will not include contributions made by your employer nor will it include interest earnings, unless the monies have been credited to the System for a period of at least five (5) years.
  • Every year Retirement Counselors of the Arkansas Public Employees Retirement System conduct seminars throughout the State.  For more information about each seminar visit APERS website at




For questions about this retirement plan, contact your Benefits Coordinator, visit APERS web site at  or contact APERS at 1-800-682-7377 and speak with a representative. 




Enrollment Change Request





back to top


For questions/comments on this content, please contact hrhelp
This page is maintained by the Office of Human Resources