Learner Support Services
Learning, Improvement, Fun and Empowerment (LIFE)
LIFE is an educational and empowerment program for outstanding minority High School Students. We will work with students from: Bentonville HS, Rogers HS, Heritage HS, Har-Ber HS, and Springdale HS. It will include a two-day dynamic summer program with lots of learning, lots of fun, and lots of possible awards!
The LIFE program will provide education, empowerment tools, and motivation to High School students with Hispanic/Latino or Marshallese background. This will be accomplished by focusing on Learning, Improvement, Fun, and Empowerment. The program will also work closely with other key NWACC staff and faculty that might be associated with and/or invested in the same goals of the program.
The LIFE program will strive to provide empowerment and create the desire for and the access to quality higher educational opportunities for students, to promote student success during and after their enrollment in the LIFE program, and to create an atmosphere of acceptance and cultural celebration by linking all communities and peoples.
To reach out to High School students who have potential to benefit from this program. The focus will be on educating students for LIFE, not only for college. Emphasis will be on empowering students to believe they can create a brighter future for themselves and emphasize that education is key in achieving that:
- To increase knowledge about postsecondary opportunities among students and families.
- To empower and motivate participants to set academic, career and personal goals for their future.
- To engage community members and leaders in the summer program that will encourage participants to broaden the perspective of community.
- To create a caring environment where participants feel comfortable transitioning to higher education.
- To provide positive role models both from community leader involvement and NWACC mentors, faculty, and staff involvement.
- To teach responsibility towards learning and education.
- To teach skills that will increase participant’s ability to plan and improve decision making skills.
- To demonstrate that fun with responsibility can improve learning.
- To have 100 to 150 students participate in LIFE 2012.