Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals

When a student loses federal student aid eligibility because he failed to make satisfactory academic progress, he may appeal that result on the basis of: his injury or illness, the death of a relative, or other special circumstances. The appeal must explain why he failed to make satisfactory progress and what has changed in his situation that will allow him to make satisfactory progress at the next evaluation.

If you have lost federal aid eligibility and have a special circumstance that you can document, you may request to appeal the exclusion. There are several steps to complete the appeal. There are several steps to the process:

  1. be sure financial aid file is complete
  2. request appeal
  3. financial aid office checks to be sure financial aid file is complete and no additional information is required
  4. student is sent an appeal worksheet to complete and return along with any additional documentation
  5. student is sent an advising form
  6. student makes appointment to see advisor
  7. advisor completes the advising form
  8. student returns the advising form to financial aid office
  9. student's appeal is reviewed and student is sent a response to their NWACC email account


Fall 2014 Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal options are:

Raise my GPA calculator

Calculate how many hours you need to take to bring your course completion rate up to 67%


Professional Judgment Requests

On occasion the income reported on a student's FAFSA is not an accurate reflection of their true financial resources due to job layoff, business closure, loss of spouse or parent, etc. The student may request the Financial Aid Office to review their extenuating circumstance and determine if an income adjustment is warranted.

Students that cannot answer yes to one of the thirteen dependency status questions on the FAFSA are considered dependent students and must provide parental information. Sometimes unusual circumstances exist that may warrant a dependency override to make the student independent. Some of the unusual circumstance include abandonment by parents, an abusive family environment or an environment that threatens the student's health or safety. A student can document their unusual circumstance and provide a letter of support from an unbiased third part on letterhead may request a Dependency Override request with the Financial Aid Office.

A parent's refusal to contribute to the student's education, unwillingness to provide information or a dependent student that can demonstrate self-sufficiency does not warrant a dependency override; however, the student may be able to request not to provide parental information. Students whose parents refuse to support them and are self-sufficient may make a request to the Financial Aid Office not to provide parental information. The student must provide documentation. If approved, the student will only be eligible to receive an unsubsidized student loan.

Summer 2014 Professional Judgment Forms:

Fall 2014 Professional Judgment Forms: